A basement bathroom is a quick and convenient alternative to the full bathrooms upstairs. But the limited space poses some limitations to its size. So what is a good size for a basement bathroom? We’ve done the research for you, and here’s the answer.
Depending on the size of your basement, the bathroom should only be around 15 to 60 square feet. A 15-square foot bathroom will only consist of a sink and a toilet. But if your basement is spacious enough to be a living area, you can utilize up to 60 square feet for a larger bathroom.
But the bathroom size will always depend on the basement's area and how you want to utilize the space. So furnishing your bathroom requires more than just knowing the acceptable dimensions. You also need to know the cost, the work it requires, and the possible value it can provide in the future. In this post, we'll explore the topic in greater detail. Without further ado, let's get into it.
How Big Should A Basement Bathroom Be?
There are several types and sizes of bathrooms, and you can use any of the three below depending on size limitations. Let’s explore each one to find out which will best suit your basement.
Basements come in different sizes, but they are most often on the smaller end of the spectrum. So, you have to adjust the size of the bathroom to the space in the basement.
The smallest bathroom you can install in your basement is 15 square feet, which is considered a half bathroom. This size is especially advisable when the basement lacks extra space but you still want to maximize its capacity.
With this space, you can fit a sink and a toilet. But unfortunately, a bathroom this small cannot accommodate a shower.
Installing a shower is viable when you extend the size to at least 26 square feet, categorizing the space as a 3/4 bathroom. As the name implies, it will only have 3 of the 4 bathroom essentials—a shower, a toilet, and a sink.
A decent space like this can only accommodate a few things. So if you want to fill the bathroom with other bath necessities, you can choose to extend the area up to 50 square feet.
If the area and resources are the least of your worries, we recommend making a full bathroom that can take up around 60 square feet of space. With this size, you can fit a bathtub, a shower, a sink, and a toilet.
A full bathroom is a great idea if you are thinking of turning your basement into a bedroom or a guestroom.
What Is The Average Cost To Add A Bathroom In A Basement?
The cost of a bathroom installation will vary based on the basement’s area. But two sources estimate that it can either be around $3,000 to $25,000 or $8,000 to $15,000. This price disparity is due to the extent of work the project will entail, such as plumbing, rough-in drain, and extensive remodeling.
Nevertheless, Home Advisor says that you should expect your basement bathroom project to cost around 30 to 50 percent of the total amount you shelled out when you finish your basement because of installation and labor.
To give you an idea of how much you may spend, here is a breakdown of bathroom installation expenses:
- Installation cost - You will spend between $2,025 and $2,925 for plumbing and fixture installation. On the other hand, installing the piping may range from $600 to $1,600 per fixture. The more fixtures you install, the higher the cost.
- Labor cost - Expect to shell out between $1,200 and $5,500 for all the labor costs related to the bathroom installation. A big chunk of this cost will usually go to the licensed professional plumber that may charge you from $40 to $75 per hour, roughly $320 to $600 for 8 hours of work.
- Rough-in plumbing - It will require around $320 to $600 to pay authorities to check if the plumbing follows the local building code in your area. Anticipate paying a professional between $1 and $4 per linear foot for piping work in the bathroom.
- Sewage ejector system cost - A sewage system will add up to $800 to $1,450 to the total cost of the basement bathroom project. A sewage system is necessary in your basement bathroom to push out sewage from showering, toilet waste, and the like.
- Bathroom core elements - A bathroom needs at least two of its main items: a shower, a sink, a toilet, and a bathtub. All of these items will cost between $20 and $5,000.
- Other bathroom features - Items such as wall and floor tiles, exhaust fan for ventilation, and cabinet drawers for organizing will amount anywhere between $250 to $3,300.
Is It Hard To Put A Bathroom In A Basement?
The hard truth is yes. Adding a bathroom in the basement is not an easy task.
The amount of manual labor it requires as well as the technical know-how about construction, electrical connections, and DWW (drain, waste, and vent) system installation, will make the project difficult to do on your own.
In addition, there are building codes you need to coordinate with your local government. Thus, hiring professionals to carry out the project is always advised to avoid messing up your whole basement.
Does Adding A Bathroom In The Basement Increase Home Value?
All these expenses and efforts involved in adding a basement bathroom begs the question: Will it increase the home’s value?
Yes, it can increase the value of some houses if the improvement creates some level of comfort and if it is a 3/4 or full bathroom. Some sources claim that adding a bathroom increases home value, but there's no concrete estimate as to how much the increase would be.
So we will look at the whole picture instead of just bits and pieces. According to Opendoor, a residential real estate digital platform, furnishing the basement can significantly increase the value of median homes by 6.6 percent or approximately $21,786.
Is A Bathroom In The Basement Worth It?
The simple convenience that a basement bathroom provides is enough to call it worth it. And with the additional benefit of the increased market value of your home, it will easily outweigh the labor and effort you put into it.
If you furnish your basement and add a bathroom, you can rent it out and have monthly rent income.
Interested in renting out your basement? Read this latest post about the possibility of renting your furnished basement on Airbnb: Can I Rent My Basement On Airbnb?
A comfortable size for a basement bathroom is from 36 square feet to 40 square feet, as it provides you with enough space to add the essential elements of a bathroom without taking up too much space.
Unsure about adding a bathroom to your basement? Check out this post to get all the information you need: Can You Put A Bathroom In A Basement?